Sunday, February 24, 2008

Haille Sellassie as god?

I had a conversation the other day with some of the kids from the academy about reggae and religion. Most of the boys seem to be taken by Rastafarianism. They tried to point out that the Rastas are the only people in the community not stealing and killing. They live fairly peacefully and other than smoking dagga (weed) they don't do anything bad. After our conversation I figured out that the Rastas use weed as their sacrament and their god (Jah) is actually a man they believe to be the incarnation of the last four manifestations of God. I further found out that the Babylon they preach against is basically western culture. I said that even though they may not steal or kill they don't believe in the same God and it is only through a belief in God that true transformation and forgiveness can take place. I tried to explain that the Rastas are not trying to make their communities better but are actually making them worse through the use and selling of their dagga (weed).

image


One of the boys then brought up the fact that under the guise of "Christianity" Africans were taken from their homes and brought to America or other Western Nations as slaves. This was a major point for him and rightly so. I apologized for that dark time in our history and agreed that this period was evil and wrong. I tried to explain that through the Bible and the message of Christ's forgiveness we can see that this "Christianity" was not a true belief and following of God's law. The boy then said that I proved his point of Christianity having evil views by acknowledging this past and he was through with the conversation.
I took a look back into African history and it is "white Christianity" that brought the slave trade and Apartheid. Apartheid was created in the theological department of the white university in Stellenbosch, South Africa. It made me realize that to many non-whites Christianity is a white, oppressive religion.
Our conversation ended there for the time being and has made me wonder and struggle with the idea of being a white Christian here in this country. How can I be effective in bringing development, community empowerment, Christ, and education to this community if I'm a white Christian? There is little differentiation between people that call themselves Christians and those that actually live a life dedicated to Christ's teachings (much like Christianity in American politics). In this same way there is little differentiation between Reggae and Rastafarianism for the boys here and I wonder how to bring the true Gospel to these kids given our pasts? I was encouraged though by the message I listened to today about Hope and how since God is who He says He is, our Hope in Him will not disappoint. God rests his promise of Hope on His character and therefore through my hope in the eternal glory of God I know that He will guide me and open doors for me. It is only through Hope in God that we can make sense of our suffering.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I cannot help but feel that the simple act of you - a white Christian - being there with these kids, and showing up again and again in their lives as a loving, humble, and truth-seaking individual is the most basic form of evangelism. I also feel that "the truth always happens," meaning that God is who God is, and his goodness is not for us to prove or explain, but simply to abide in in a way that welcomes others to do the same.

You guys are in my heart.

Cortland said...

rock on. i love that you are getting into those types of discussions with the boys. It also sounds like you are asking the right questions of yourself and learning as you go. stoked on you two...you are in my thoughts and prayers continually.

Josh Stichter said...

Wow, that's intense. Keep your chin up good soldier! I've never been in a situation exactly like that, but in my experience of working with youth, consistency is the most powerful tool, especially for youth coming from troubled backgrounds. From reading your description of the encounter, it no doubt sounds like the boy is testing you to see if you and everything your represent is the real deal. Your are the real deal, and so is God. It sounds like this relationship may progress slowly, but it [and others like it] will be deep and lasting.

Chasen said...

Thanks for the comments. This was personally my first post so I was nervous about it but I really appreciate all of your thoughts. I am trying to spend time with the kids and as Josh said I am trying to be consistent.